Thursday night / Friday

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Murray

I know I have some scales somewhere, but last time I looked at them the battery had gone flat. And that was a long time ago.

Some people consider feeding, pigeon, racehorse, whatever, to be a science. Quantities, ratios, percentages etc determine what and how they feed.
Some of the most successful trainers work on those lines.

Others look at it as a craft, a skill learned over time. I have seen some truly great racehorse trainers. Men who could take a horse in poor form, and with nothing more than their eyes sense what was wrong. Then armed with a 2 pint dipper start feeding that horse back into condition.
Same with the pigeons. I knew a bloke who was formidable with both young birds and old birds. I have sat at his table and talked about his pigeons for hours. He knew each one intimately, what it was, what it liked, whether it was better in a head wind or a tail wind, oh, he was an encyclopedia. :lol:
Feeding, they were fed a mixture made up for him at a local grain store. It wasn't a secret, he gave me some to try. A nice mix but simple.
He fed them as much as he felt they needed. No scales. And he was near top of the sheet every year in the big money National races.
An artist.
I will never be as good as him, but his methods have stayed with me through the years. What I feed is based on his feed. The pigeons do okay on it.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Iv played with fats n sugers n both are awkward used wrong they seem to make things worse in my opinion I use fats for sprinting but so so different to how the experts advise us to use them,
The old school flyers won't move on they think the heavy mixes end of week are good
I look at things like thus
Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
NeilA

Anthony webster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 am Iv played with fats n sugers n both are awkward used wrong they seem to make things worse in my opinion I use fats for sprinting but so so different to how the experts advise us to use them,
The old school flyers won't move on they think the heavy mixes end of week are good
Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
Murray wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am I know I have some scales somewhere, but last time I looked at them the battery had gone flat. And that was a long time ago.

Some people consider feeding, pigeon, racehorse, whatever, to be a science. Quantities, ratios, percentages etc determine what and how they feed.

Others look at it as a craft, a skill learned over time. I have seen some truly great racehorse trainers. Men who could take a horse in poor form, and with nothing more than their eyes sense what was wrong. Then armed with a 2 pint dipper start feeding that horse back into condition.
Same with the pigeons. I knew a bloke who was formidable with both young birds and old birds. I have sat at his table and talked about his pigeons for hours. He knew each one intimately, what it was, what it liked, whether it was better in a head wind or a tail wind, oh, he was an encyclopedia. :lol:
Feeding, they were fed a mixture made up for him at a local grain store. It wasn't a secret, he gave me some to try. A nice mix but simple.
He fed them as much as he felt they needed. No scales. And he was near top of the sheet every year in the big money National races.
An artist.
I will never be as good as him, but his methods have stayed with me through the years. What I feed is based on his feed. The pigeons do okay on it.
See Murray to me that post is just a nice old story where you can’t remember the mix anyway I need more factual results to change methods
If MIL or my mate Shane told me I’m bonkers I would listen
Or say look at Anthony on here he’s always exploring new ways and ideas
But just feeding the same mix every day with no reason to back it up or even know what’s in it wouldn’t really interest me
That’s why I said stick your sprinting results up then I can trust your system more
NeilA

Anthony webster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 am Iv played with fats n sugers n both are awkward used wrong they seem to make things worse in my opinion I use fats for sprinting but so so different to how the experts advise us to use them,
Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
In my head peas repair if required at all and I think fats are full of protein anyway plus the powders etc as you know
My issue is always when are fats or oil seeds required when do carbs burn off and how long do fats need to turn to ready to use energy
I read so much in these and all seem different and not many with the substance to back the theory so I am always stuck
Murray

Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
Very well put, Anthony.
20 years ago I was using depurative at the beginning of the week and trying to load them up with fats at the end of the week. Poor buggers.
Now I think about how I would go having to compete in a long running race, having gone to bed on a belly full of fried sausage, bacon, eggs, liver and fried bread. :(
I wrote the other day that I feed a good mix every day, and want my pigeons full by Wednesday, so they can digest the fats and deposit them ready for use.
On Thursday and Friday they are not hungry and go away without a belly full of heavy feed.
You are right, peas are diesel. Racing cars don't often use diesel. As Ad Schaerlaeckens says, peas are great. you should feed lots of peas to your young birds, especially if you want them to have blue flesh and be slow in the races. :lol:
Murray

NeilA wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:07 am
Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
Murray wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am I know I have some scales somewhere, but last time I looked at them the battery had gone flat. And that was a long time ago.

An artist.
See Murray to me that post is just a nice old story where you can’t remember the mix anyway I need more factual results to change methods
If MIL or my mate Shane told me I’m bonkers I would listen
Or say look at Anthony on here he’s always exploring new ways and ideas
But just feeding the same mix every day with no reason to back it up or even know what’s in it wouldn’t really interest me
That’s why I said stick your sprinting results up then I can trust your system more
The man isn't listening.
I said just have a think about things. You assure me you will not think about different things because you don't need to.
And I go back to banging my head! :lol:
Murray

Just forget about it Neil. :D
NeilA

I have probably thought and worked out more things than some simple old stories that we al have them tucked away
It’s my way to challenge non factual advice
Like I say stick your results up from sprinting these last two years or so then I can decide just need to see drops / team performance etc
Only a fool would agree with a stranger on the internet that gives advice without seeing a bit of background
I’m more than happy to put my hens on a general mix or any mix fed the same each day that you advise I just need to see some recent sprint results so I know your advice it’s spot on
After all it will stop you having to bang your head explaining to me to change or think outside the box etc etc.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I like peas now n then but think there's easier ways of putting protein in em
Pellets, chopped peanuts, milk replacer, colistrum, whey, apf90 there's nicer ways I think than peas now.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

NeilA wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:11 am
Peas = diesel
Maize = petrol
Oil seeds = jet fuel
In my head peas repair if required at all and I think fats are full of protein anyway plus the powders etc as you know
My issue is always when are fats or oil seeds required when do carbs burn off and how long do fats need to turn to ready to use energy
I read so much in these and all seem different and not many with the substance to back the theory so I am always stuck look at maize it's high carbs but the carbs left over from maize turn to usable fat that's why it's such a food for the distance the 835km flyers in South Africa use 80 percent dog tooth maize late in week for there races.