Respiratory

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

Not suggesting that you don’t know or observe your birds Neil just that you do things differently from me.
I don’t have one pigeon in my loft that has been brought. All are or have been bred down from gifted pigeons.
I just think that some of these testing companies are in it to sell you something. They would soon go out of business if they didn’t.
I am of an age now where I have blood tests every year by the doctor. I was told two years ago that my cholesterol was borderline and they wanted me to go onto statins. I told them what they could do with their statins. They told me that if I agreed to go on them they would receive extra funding. I still refused. Last year my cholesterol was back to normal levels lol.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
NeilA

Andy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:19 pm Not suggesting that you don’t know or observe your birds Neil just that you do things differently from me.
I don’t have one pigeon in my loft that has been brought. All are or have been bred down from gifted pigeons.
I just think that some of these testing companies are in it to sell you something. They would soon go out of business if they didn’t.
I am of an age now where I have blood tests every year by the doctor. I was told two years ago that my cholesterol was borderline and they wanted me to go onto statins. I told them what they could do with their statins. They told me that if I agreed to go on them they would receive extra funding. I still refused. Last year my cholesterol was back to normal levels lol.
Not sure if there purchased or gifts it would matter once they mix with others there breathing in germs etc bacteria from shit in the baskets I also think birds can look great but have a issue not visible which means there 10 mins off the pace and not breaking at the race point
I would only worm mine if I kept them and didn’t race as they would still look nice but I send to win so need to have put my birds in the best condition to do that is my feelings
I don’t have any hard sell for the basic tests infact once they asked me why I sent my test in as it was spot on and advised me to close my loft a little due to the unusual cold weather which wasn’t building form
I have a bloke in my club pigeons handle like show pigeons like silk but I avoid mine going in the same crates as him as the smell of mice when you go in his loft is shocking
You wouldn’t think it to look at his birds
He’s never beat me in 7 years
Do you not give a parathyroid treatment at all ?
king

This is an open question. When fanciers are off the pace by a few mins, most seem to think it's a heath issue with their birds? Do the ever consider that it's maybe down to the other fanciers birds are simply better on the day? In my old club, sometimes a unexpected fancier would win and the better fanciers would have every excuse under the sun to why they were beaten.
I'm sure birds CAN be in TOP health naturally, and don't have to constantly treated.
Now some will say to compete competitively every week you have to treat. But that still leaves the door open for a top fancier who's birds are healthy to be beat by better birds which could be both treated and non treated.
The last time I won a race, I was 10 mins clear with a 600 mile hen at 117 miles. It hadn't been treated for anything all year. It did however have its eggs hatch the day of marking.
NeilA

king wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:42 pm This is an open question. When fanciers are off the pace by a few mins, most seem to think it's a heath issue with their birds? Do the ever consider that it's maybe down to the other fanciers birds are simply better on the day? In my old club, sometimes a unexpected fancier would win and the better fanciers would have every excuse under the sun to why they were beaten.
I'm sure birds CAN be in TOP health naturally, and don't have to constantly treated.
Now some will say to compete competitively every week you have to treat. But that still leaves the door open for a top fancier who's birds are healthy to be beat by better birds which could be both treated and non treated.
The last time I won a race, I was 10 mins clear with a 600 mile hen at 117 miles. It hadn't been treated for anything all year. It did however have its eggs hatch the day of marking.
I wouldn’t worry about treating or not treating if won a 110 mile race by 10 mins
I wouldn’t need to that just doesn’t happen here it’s to competitive
king

NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:02 pm
king wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:42 pm This is an open question. When fanciers are off the pace by a few mins, most seem to think it's a heath issue with their birds? Do the ever consider that it's maybe down to the other fanciers birds are simply better on the day? In my old club, sometimes a unexpected fancier would win and the better fanciers would have every excuse under the sun to why they were beaten.
I wouldn’t worry about treating or not treating if won a 110 mile race by 10 mins
I wouldn’t need to that just doesn’t happen here it’s to competitive
Winning by 10 mins is not the norm in the club I can only recall it happening a handful of times in 45 years racing. The first 6 cards are normally taken on the same min. But that was not the point of the question. How far do fanciers have to be behind the winner to believe they have a health issue? And why can't they just accept their birds could be beaten by better birds and there is no health issue
NeilA

I don’t think it’s about that King top week to week fed fliers that I know make sure they are on top of everything including health
Clear before racing a plan for the 12 weeks of racing and a check for the basics or more if your wallet allows as a back up every 4-5 weeks
You could look at a pigeon and condition look great but they could be full of worms I have seen this from a mates stock he bought in no dry feathers or dropping looking suspect but he had a worm issue
king

NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:30 pm I don’t think it’s about that King top week to week fed fliers that I know make sure they are on top of everything including health
Clear before racing a plan for the 12 weeks of racing and a check for the basics or more if your wallet allows as a back up every 4-5 weeks
You could look at a pigeon and condition look great but they could be full of worms I have seen this from a mates stock he bought in no dry feathers or dropping looking suspect but he had a worm issue
That maybe true Neil but if ALL these TOP Fed fliers that are on top of everything including health, they can't ALL win? There's only one winner, when beat do they except they prepared their birds correctly and have no health issues and were beaten by a better birds, or start looking for a health issue?
That's why I asked how far behind do they have to be before it changes from being beat by a better bird, to it's got to be a health issue?
NeilA

king wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:06 pm
NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:30 pm I don’t think it’s about that King top week to week fed fliers that I know make sure they are on top of everything including health
That maybe true Neil but if ALL these TOP Fed fliers that are on top of everything including health, they can't ALL win? There's only one winner, when beat do they except they prepared their birds correctly and have no health issues and were beaten by a better birds, or start looking for a health issue?
That's why I asked how far behind do they have to be before it changes from being beat by a better bird, to it's got to be a health issue?
Of course they can’t all win but they all aim to be at the best chance of winning
If I was 3 min behind in my club 2 weeks in a row I would be in a bad way one week would worry me alone
You try to keep your best birds in the best possible health to win in my view
3 min is a lot here
My main two rivals and friends in my club are on you constantly one will send 20 hens have 12 in 2/3 mins weekly to about 160 miles about 5 of the members are split by a min min half on a sprint
That’s why I say no one wins by 10 mins here at 100 miles
MIL

I'll answer this one tomorrow - not time tonight.

Suffice to say i've seen and heard absolutely nowt to make me change my mind
king

NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:38 pm
king wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:06 pm
Of course they can’t all win but they all aim to be at the best chance of winning
If I was 3 min behind in my club 2 weeks in a row I would be in a bad way one week would worry me alone
You try to keep your best birds in the best possible health to win in my view
3 min is a lot here
My main two rivals and friends in my club are on you constantly one will send 20 hens have 12 in 2/3 mins weekly to about 160 miles about 5 of the members are split by a min min half on a sprint
That’s why I say no one wins by 10 mins here at 100 miles
As I said winning by 10 mins is the exception to the rule, it rarely happens. The last 2 races in my old club were won by only 1 or 2 mins. In fact every race this season has been no more than 2 mins except, one Brighton race 200 miles where only 3 members sent due to bad weather.