Young birds being put away until yearlings.

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Andy

I had a good conversation the other night with one of our younger members. He is racing with his dad. They have had some reasonable results but also a lot of poor ones. They lost a lot of old birds and also lost a lot of youngsters during training and in the first race before they went down with ybs. They were getting rather despondent. They did actually have a very good last race being 6th & 7th combine. They have been buying in birds from all over the place. They were on about getting rid of them all and trying something different. I told them that they were looking for something to click immediately which is unlikely to happen. I said that they needed to work with those that had done ok for them. They needed to develop pigeons that worked for them and their system. You can buy from the best in the country but if those birds have been raced in a different part of the country under different conditions they won’t suit you.
Too often people look for a short cut to success. Those that do and are even lucky enough to do so rarely last more than a couple of seasons as they can’t reproduce the goods that they have brought. The old adage rings true. You can buy the pigeons but you can’t buy the fancier.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:08 pm I had a good conversation the other night with one of our younger members. He is racing with his dad. They have had some reasonable results but also a lot of poor ones. They lost a lot of old birds and also lost a lot of youngsters during training and in the first race before they went down with ybs. They were getting rather despondent. They did actually have a very good last race being 6th & 7th combine. They have been buying in birds from all over the place. They were on about getting rid of them all and trying something different. I told them that they were looking for something to click immediately which is unlikely to happen. I said that they needed to work with those that had done ok for them. They needed to develop pigeons that worked for them and their system. You can buy from the best in the country but if those birds have been raced in a different part of the country under different conditions they won’t suit you.
Too often people look for a short cut to success. Those that do and are even lucky enough to do so rarely last more than a couple of seasons as they can’t reproduce the goods that they have brought. The old adage rings true. You can buy the pigeons but you can’t buy the fancier.
So true Andy, and that is exactly why I wanted you and Trev to share babies as much as possible to see how they went in different upbringings