Respiratory

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

I know my ways and ideas are the opposite to some and don’t pretend that my way is necessarily better and probably haven’t achieved some of the accolades that some have but have still been pretty successful over the years. This is one of the things with this sport, there are many different ways and I think it both good and useful to others to get different views.
There are a couple of points that have been said that I don’t necessarily agree with.
As I have said before I don’t treat for anything. If a bird goes sick one of three things happen. It dies, is moved on if it doesn’t recover or it gets better on its own. Any outcome is fine by me. Those that survive are stronger specimens as a result with good immunity. I’ve had PMV twice and have only lost the odd pigeon. The best have shown little sign of it. I’ve had young bird sickness but change nothing. If I lose any I just think there ones that would probably fail sooner or later anyway. I’ve only ever had canker in a couple of pigeons who were disposed of.
I treat pigeons the same as myself. I’ve work for 47 years and in all those years only had 2 days off sick. Those were 2 days together back in the 80s when I had flu and couldn’t get out of bed. I’ve gone to work in a pretty poorly way at times but never stopped me. I have broken my wrists of the years being kicked by cows. Twice I had them put in plaster after morning milking and was back milking again in the afternoon with a wrist in plaster. The third time I never even had it treated and continued swimming and playing waterpolo with it. I am suffering with it a bit now mind. I had a foot operation a few years ago but was back in the shop on crutches the following day. I very rarely take any medication for anything,
One point made which I would deny was that athletes never win with respiratory issues. I was a county swimmer and won gold medals at western counties level against swimmers from 5 different counties. Sometimes I would have a cold or feel rough but still win. If anything I think my body fighting an infection made it stronger. I haven’t competed for years now but would still be confident of winning against others in my age group.
Another point was treating as a preventative rather than when an infection occurs. How can you treat something that doesn’t exist?
The drug suggested to use is for heart worms in cattle, horses and sheep and scrape in humans. In all my years of farming I have never heard of heart worms.
I have very little faith in doctors or vets. When I was farming I rarely used a vet. I would do most of my own treatments. Take a lame cow for instance. I would pair the hoof and clear the infection. A vet would do the same but would also give a course of antibiotic's. The cow wouldn’t get better any quicker but the milk would have to be rejected for a week along with the cost. Vets and doctors are giving antibiotics just because they don’t really know what the problem is and it sounds good.
Just my way of doing things. We are all different.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Good piece there Andy.
My thinking is much like yours. Vets have two things. Antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs. Most cases presented will respond to one or the other. One day we had an old cat at the vet and I actually said that to him. He looked surprised and stuttered for a moment before admitting that was right. People take their animal to the vet seeking a cure. The vet examines it, bangs a shot into it and charges you whatever. Plenty. He couldn't get away with that by telling you the animal will get better by itself if you keep it warm and look after it for a few days.
I don't like to treat pigeons either. The exception was last year when some of the young stock pigeons which had been bought in started having babies with canker. For the first time in many years I treated the loft with emtryl to clean it out. My own pigeons were fine.
Pigeons will recover from many things by themselves if they are allowed to. Cocci is something they can get over, and so is Rota virus.
The vets and pharmaceutical companies are in business, which is fair enough. They would be poor businessmen if they told you to give your pigeons a rest and let them recover.
But the fact is, medications only ensure you will have the same illnesses again. What you treat them for is what they will get.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

Just a little tip that we have that has nothing to do with pigeons. In our pet shop we are often used for advice before people go to the vet. Often we can make suggestions that avoid a trip and the expense of them going to the vet. One common thing is anal glands in dogs. The amount the vets charge for draining them, which is only a temporary fix before they suggest removing them. There is no need for any of this. We have from our own experience and now that of others who have gone along with our advice that the easy answer is giving the dog wheatabix for breakfast. We have Jack Russell’s that when Young had a lot of trouble with their glands. My wife gave them half a wheatabix every morning, she does insist on giving it with warm milk lol. We never had a problem since. We did lose one a couple of years ago at 14 with cancer but the other one is still going at 16, and still having her wheatabix.
NeilA

Interesting stuff
But I’m going to blind treat during racing I can’t see why not to be honest
In good competition you need to have everything spot on
My ybs have had kombi mix , wormed , doxycycline there now in Roni for canker
Monday week I will have a test done then I know my pigeons are healthy to start training seriously
They also had the Rota viruis combined vaccine
Thinking of doing PHA
Devo1956

NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:41 am Interesting stuff
But I’m going to blind treat during racing I can’t see why not to be honest
In good competition you need to have everything spot on
My ybs have had kombi mix , wormed , doxycycline there now in Roni for canker
Monday week I will have a test done then I know my pigeons are healthy to start training seriously
They also had the Rota viruis combined vaccine
Thinking of doing PHA
I think the main thing is to use vaccine of Rota virus, salmonella, and Para. I know before my birds went into the German classic OLR. They had these vaccines, then a week before entering the loft, they were given another Rota virus jab. With entering a loft with over a 1000 birds, it was important to protect the young birds.
Andy

My youngsters were vaccinated for PMV just after weaning. The won’t get treated for anything else.
NeilA

Andy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:42 pm My youngsters were vaccinated for PMV just after weaning. The won’t get treated for anything else.
What’s your testing procedure Andy
Andy

Don’t ever test Neil. I have never in all the years I’ve kept pigeons tested for anything.
NeilA

Andy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:37 pm Don’t ever test Neil. I have never in all the years I’ve kept pigeons tested for anything.
I think I would be last here every week if something wasn’t right with them and went undetected
Andy

NeilA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:05 pm
Andy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:37 pm Don’t ever test Neil. I have never in all the years I’ve kept pigeons tested for anything.
I think I would be last here every week if something wasn’t right with them and went undetected
I would too. We’ve got 3 national and international winners in our club. More in the combine. But don’t feel I need to test to know if something isn’t right. Knowing your pigeons and observation is the key.