Respiratory

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Murray

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:22 am Like i have said on topic, we all all have our own ways of how we manage our birds. And as the owner of these birds, it is your duty to care for them. Giving good nutrition and looking after their health day by day.
It is a 365 day sport and can be very testing to the birds. So i feel it is important ,first of all make sure you keep up to date with yearly vaccine for Rota virus, salmonella, Para.

Healthy pigeons in good condition are necessary for successful and good breeding. Prevention is better than cure, so in this article we take a closer look at why vaccinating before the breeding season and when weaning youngsters is so important.

1. VACCINATION AGAINST PARATYPHOID BEFORE BREEDING
Paratyphoid fever or salmonella is a common obstacle that can cause major problems in the breeding season: poor fertilisation, mortality in the egg and then death of nestlings or even the breeding pigeons themselves. That is why it is recommended to treat pigeons with a suitable antibiotic for about ten days every year about six weeks before the breeding period, in consultation with your vet.

If you regularly have problems with paratyphoid, it is also recommended to vaccinate against paratyphoid immediately after treatment. Be careful to leave enough time until the you pair the pigeons (four to five weeks), otherwise you might have a very bad breeding.
​Since mid-2016, high levels of mortalities in kept pigeons (racing and fancy) occurred in lofts across most states of Australia. Emergency animal diseases and notifiable diseases, such as avian influenza (AI), Newcastle disease virus (NDV) and pigeon paramyxovirus virus type 1 (PPMV1), were ruled out as the cause. Investigations of these events found they were due to a rotavirus (a member of the reoviridae family).​

In March 2017, pigeon rotavirus was detected in sick pigeons in Tasmania.

Clinical ​​signs​
Clinical signs in affected birds have included depression and reluctance to go out and fly, vomiting, diarrhoea, regurgitation and hunched postures. Birds that appear sick often die within 12 to 24 hours, with deaths in affected lofts continuing for approximately 7 days (Figure 1).​

Mortality rates of up to approximately 30% have been reported in affected lofts. While the history of the pigeon rotavirus outbreak on the mainland indicates there may be a lengthy carrier status for recovered birds of some weeks or months, the full nature of the disease is yet to be elucidated.​​

This is just my thoughts, i have always said the health of the birds is Paramount. Along the way, other forms of a virus may come along. It is your choice on treatment of your birds.
Heremans.JPG
I am going to disagree with you Devo.
That is a picture of two inbred Heremans pigeons I have. Their father was a pure Heremans which won 4 out of 5 a few years ago. He paired up with his sister and these were the result.
I bought them home out of the nest.They were put aside for stock so have never been vaccinated for anything.
The importance of vaccinations is impressed upon us by the companies that manufacture vaccines.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

Neil you say that lofts on top of treatments are those that are winning. I would say that is because the modern day pigeons are inferior to those of the past and are unable to stay healthy without treatments.
We certainly see things differently Neil. I am enjoying reading your methods and am in no way knocking you for the way you are doing things, just not for me lol.
You are a great asset to this site and I honestly wish you all the best for the future.
Just another small point about the time difference in races. I am the only person with pigeons in the town. My nearest competitor is about 4 miles away. They fly a similar distance to me but are a fair bit South of me. There is no direct line of flight for any race and with short races very difficult to beat the drag.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Murray you have the right to disagree with me, like anyone else. The points i make is about how i feel in the management of how i managed my birds.

On a different subject, my mate Gimpy that comes to visit me daily, he was left for dead after a hawk attack. His back ripped out and leg damage. So some treatment and daily care looked after him.
He still walks with a gimp, but he is alive and well. He still visits me after 4 years. since attack.
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-06-22T092025.392.jpeg
Last edited by Devo1956 on Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark69
Great Britain

Great post enjoying reading everyones different point of view
NeilA

Andy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:22 am Neil you say that lofts on top of treatments are those that are winning. I would say that is because the modern day pigeons are inferior to those of the past and are unable to stay healthy without treatments.
We certainly see things differently Neil. I am enjoying reading your methods and am in no way knocking you for the way you are doing things, just not for me lol.
You are a great asset to this site and I honestly wish you all the best for the future.
Just another small point about the time difference in races. I am the only person with pigeons in the town. My nearest competitor is about 4 miles away. They fly a similar distance to me but are a fair bit South of me. There is no direct line of flight for any race and with short races very difficult to beat the drag.
When I say treat that doesn’t mean the birds are not healthy anyway I’m not talking about seeing dirty wattles or canker lumps I mean slight issues that the eye can’t see
That may knock 5-10 min off your times
Health and bang on super health are different . I kept pigeons when I didn’t race for a few years never treated as I wasn’t worried about winning they looked fine it’s two different things
There certainly faster now Andy as the secretary of the combine told me Tuesday there racing out of Thurso now not homing gone are the days of getting a pigeon from 300 miles the next day and thinking that’s one for Thurso
His words not mine and he’s been in charge for 35 years so seen a few Thurso races
See these 7 years I was determined to win after restarting and they haven’t let me down i need to get every gain I can within my limited pocket so treating and doing the best for my birds is one thing
My ybs will be clean when I train not underlining issues no head fog
They do a hour now dead on and drop when I allow it so they ready, they trap like bullets
I don’t want to have a bad trainer for a health issue I haven’t noticed plus I want them to win not home
Murray

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:30 am Murray you have the right to disagree with me, like anyone else. The points i make is about how i feel in the management of how i managed my birds.

On a different subject, my mate Gimpy that comes to visit me daily, he was left for dead after a hawk attack. His back ripped out and leg damage. So some treatment and daily care looked after him.
He still walks with a gimp, but he is alive and well. He still visits me after 4 years. since attack.
I am really looking forward to having you visit us next year, Devo
We will have time to sit and talk about the management of the pigeons. I reckon I will know more when you are gone.
We all have different views, but we get stuck in a mindset if we are not discussing things.
I can't wait! :D
Murray

NeilA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:46 am
Andy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:22 am Neil you say that lofts on top of treatments are those that are winning. I would say that is because the modern day pigeons are inferior to those of the past and are unable to stay healthy without treatments.
When I say treat that doesn’t mean the birds are not healthy anyway I’m not talking about seeing dirty wattles or canker lumps I mean slight issues that the eye can’t see
That may knock 5-10 min off your times
Health and bang on super health are different . I kept pigeons when I didn’t race for a few years never treated as I wasn’t worried about winning they looked fine it’s two different things
There certainly faster now Andy as the secretary of the combine told me Tuesday there racing out of Thurso now not homing gone are the days of getting a pigeon from 300 miles the next day and thinking that’s one for Thurso
His words not mine and he’s been in charge for 35 years so seen a few Thurso races
See these 7 years I was determined to win after restarting and they haven’t let me down i need to get every gain I can within my limited pocket so treating and doing the best for my birds is one thing
My ybs will be clean when I train not underlining issues no head fog
They do a hour now dead on and drop when I allow it so they ready, they trap like bullets
I don’t want to have a bad trainer for a health issue I haven’t noticed plus I want them to win not home
Yes they are faster now, and there is no doubt that you are committed to being at the front all the time.
I will just give you one small tip.
Nothing is free. Every time you crack open a jar of medication, you incur a debt. Which WILL be paid later.
I have been fortunate in having Dutch champion Ad Schaerlaeckens reply to my emails for some time. When I told him that I had treated all my pigeons with Emtryl, because some new stock pigeons were bringing canker into the loft, his reply was.
"Dont do that!"
Devo1956

Murray wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:51 am
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:30 am Murray you have the right to disagree with me, like anyone else. The points i make is about how i feel in the management of how i managed my birds.

I am really looking forward to having you visit us next year, Devo
We will have time to sit and talk about the management of the pigeons. I reckon I will know more when you are gone.
We all have different views, but we get stuck in a mindset if we are not discussing things.
I can't wait! :D
Yes Murray i am really looking forward to my visit, time is moving on so it will be good to meet you both. It wont be long. :D :D
NeilA

That’s not something to concern me Murray
I’m keeping them to race not to keep to a ripe old age
Stock breed racers race , retired at 3 year olds either killed given away or tried at stock
So 12 weeks a year for 3 -4 years they get treated on a system say 3 canker treatments a year so 12 in there life time
On a 4 day treatment that’s 48 days of canker treatment in 4 years
That wouldn’t concern me one bit
Murray

And that's great, Neil.
You manage your pigeons as you think is best, and we hope that you have a lot of success in the year ahead.