Respiratory

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
NeilA

Murray wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:42 am And that's great, Neil.
You manage your pigeons as you think is best, and we hope that you have a lot of success in the year ahead.
I can only hope it continues to the level of these last 8 years
Although I am planning on a change soon to attempt something different
king

NeilA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:15 am
Murray wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:51 am There's different schools of thought, and I reckon there is no wrong one.

There are those who are firm believers in the need for medication. Since their pigeons are bred from pigeons that were medicated to keep them healthy, and the grandparents were medicated to keep them healthy they seem to need it to stay healthy.
I have a mate who is very methodical and has a monthly medication schedule and a white board on which he records everything.
He won 1 race in our club last year.

Then there are those who prefer to not use medications. I am one.
You cannot take pigeons from a loft that uses medications and go, "righto, I am going to race these totally natural". You will probably loose them all before the first race. But I have pigeons that have never seen an as much as an an asprin for 4 and 5 generations. They have strong natural immune systems. They don't get sick.
I won 1 race in our club last year.

And it's hard winning in that club, there's a 25 mile spread. You don't get a drag home.

Medicate them if you want to, or don't. It's entirely up to you.
The quality of the pigeon matters

Equal quality equal management one with its health spot on against One with a slight case of canker the one in A1 health wins for me
Whilst health is very important. When top fanciers compete together motivation is the decider.
king

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:22 am Like i have said on topic, we all all have our own ways of how we manage our birds. And as the owner of these birds, it is your duty to care for them. Giving good nutrition and looking after their health day by day.
It is a 365 day sport and can be very testing to the birds. So i feel it is important ,first of all make sure you keep up to date with yearly vaccine for Rota virus, salmonella, Para.

Healthy pigeons in good condition are necessary for successful and good breeding. Prevention is better than cure, so in this article we take a closer look at why vaccinating before the breeding season and when weaning youngsters is so important.

1. VACCINATION AGAINST PARATYPHOID BEFORE BREEDING
Paratyphoid fever or salmonella is a common obstacle that can cause major problems in the breeding season: poor fertilisation, mortality in the egg and then death of nestlings or even the breeding pigeons themselves. That is why it is recommended to treat pigeons with a suitable antibiotic for about ten days every year about six weeks before the breeding period, in consultation with your vet.

If you regularly have problems with paratyphoid, it is also recommended to vaccinate against paratyphoid immediately after treatment. Be careful to leave enough time until the you pair the pigeons (four to five weeks), otherwise you might have a very bad breeding.
​Since mid-2016, high levels of mortalities in kept pigeons (racing and fancy) occurred in lofts across most states of Australia. Emergency animal diseases and notifiable diseases, such as avian influenza (AI), Newcastle disease virus (NDV) and pigeon paramyxovirus virus type 1 (PPMV1), were ruled out as the cause. Investigations of these events found they were due to a rotavirus (a member of the reoviridae family).​

In March 2017, pigeon rotavirus was detected in sick pigeons in Tasmania.

Clinical ​​signs​
Clinical signs in affected birds have included depression and reluctance to go out and fly, vomiting, diarrhoea, regurgitation and hunched postures. Birds that appear sick often die within 12 to 24 hours, with deaths in affected lofts continuing for approximately 7 days (Figure 1).​

Mortality rates of up to approximately 30% have been reported in affected lofts. While the history of the pigeon rotavirus outbreak on the mainland indicates there may be a lengthy carrier status for recovered birds of some weeks or months, the full nature of the disease is yet to be elucidated.​​

This is just my thoughts, i have always said the health of the birds is Paramount. Along the way, other forms of a virus may come along. It is your choice on treatment of your birds.
I raced before PARATYPHOID was ever talked about. The first fancier in my club to ever catch PARATYPHOID was the only fancier to vaccinate against it. I've kept birds for near on 50 years and never had a fertility problem. Clear eggs are rare in my loft. 10 or more birds are over 10 years old and all filled this year. The only pair not to fill is a cock of 21 and his hen of 12. Although they did fill a couple of eggs last year.
Poor fertility is common in pigeons today with cocks as young as 6 now not filling. It's not all down to PARATYPHOID. Medication is playing its part also.
Devo1956

king wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:49 am
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:22 am Like i have said on topic, we all all have our own ways of how we manage our birds. And as the owner of these birds, it is your duty to care for them. Giving good nutrition and looking after their health day by day.
It is a 365 day sport and can be very testing to the birds. So i feel it is important ,first of all make sure you keep up to date with yearly vaccine for Rota virus, salmonella, Para.

Healthy pigeons in good condition are necessary for successful and good breeding. Prevention is better than cure, so in this article we take a closer look at why vaccinating before the breeding season and when weaning youngsters is so important.

Paratyphoid fever or salmonella is a common obstacle that can cause major problems in the breeding season: poor fertilisation, mortality in the egg and then death of nestlings or even the breeding pigeons themselves. That is why it is recommended to treat pigeons with a suitable antibiotic for about ten days every year about six weeks before the breeding period, in consultation with your vet.

If you regularly have problems with paratyphoid, it is also recommended to vaccinate against paratyphoid immediately after treatment. Be careful to leave enough time until the you pair the pigeons (four to five weeks), otherwise you might have a very bad breeding.
​Since mid-2016, high levels of mortalities in kept pigeons (racing and fancy) occurred in lofts across most states of Australia. Emergency animal diseases and notifiable diseases, such as avian influenza (AI), Newcastle disease virus (NDV) and pigeon paramyxovirus virus type 1 (PPMV1), were ruled out as the cause. Investigations of these events found they were due to a rotavirus (a member of the reoviridae family).​

Clinical ​​signs​
Clinical signs in affected birds have included depression and reluctance to go out and fly, vomiting, diarrhoea, regurgitation and hunched postures. Birds that appear sick often die within 12 to 24 hours, with deaths in affected lofts continuing for approximately 7 days (Figure 1).​

Mortality rates of up to approximately 30% have been reported in affected lofts. While the history of the pigeon rotavirus outbreak on the mainland indicates there may be a lengthy carrier status for recovered birds of some weeks or months, the full nature of the disease is yet to be elucidated.​​

This is just my thoughts, i have always said the health of the birds is Paramount. Along the way, other forms of a virus may come along. It is your choice on treatment of your birds.
I raced before PARATYPHOID was ever talked about. The first fancier in my club to ever catch PARATYPHOID was the only fancier to vaccinate against it. I've kept birds for near on 50 years and never had a fertility problem. Clear eggs are rare in my loft. 10 or more birds are over 10 years old and all filled this year. The only pair not to fill is a cock of 21 and his hen of 12. Although they did fill a couple of eggs last year.
Poor fertility is common in pigeons today with cocks as young as 6 now not filling. It's not all down to PARATYPHOID. Medication is playing its part also.
King, i must say its good to hear your views after 50 years of racing pigeons. I am sure you have seen some changes along the way, and spoke on many topics. I went to a mates loft yesterday, and a very good flyer. He was telling me of his birds not being right, and he found one dead on the floor. I asked what the droppings were like, i must say not very good. We can not see what is going on inside the bird, so we have to observe and look for what could be the cause. I must say it's ok keeping your birds in top health, but they then mix with other birds going to the race. So that is why i think prevention is a must.
NeilA

Exactly Devo
Winning with racing pigeons and keeping pets are two different hobby’s
king

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:16 pm
king wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:49 am

Clinical ​​signs​

King, i must say its good to hear your views after 50 years of racing pigeons. I am sure you have seen some changes along the way, and spoke on many topics. I went to a mates loft yesterday, and a very good flyer. He was telling me of his birds not being right, and he found one dead on the floor. I asked what the droppings were like, i must say not very good. We can not see what is going on inside the bird, so we have to observe and look for what could be the cause. I must say it's ok keeping your birds in top health, but they then mix with other birds going to the race. So that is why i think prevention is a must.
One of the main changes I've seen is Medication. The problem of Paratyphoid has now become a problem for many because WE the fanciers have made it so. Vaccination for the sake of. The best example of this is Pigeon Pox. My club had a outbreak of this in 1980. Some fanciers vaccinated some didn't. I never vaccinated and it cleared up itself.
The last outbreak I can recall was in the Barnsley area around a couple of years ago. Probably caused by a fancier vaccinating (with the live vaccine) and not keeping their birds confined for the required time after vaccinating, as the bird can shed the virus during that time.

So that is why i think prevention is a must? You have made the mistake in thinking that vaccination prevents a bird from getting infected. IT DOES NOT. With ALL vaccinations the host MUST CONTRACT THE disease BEFORE any vaccine can HELP the bird recover. So any fancier vaccinating for Paratyphoid and not getting it, has not prevented it by vaccinating, but by not actually contacting it.
I used to vaccinate for PMV only because I was forced too. I have NEVER vaccinated my stock birds since PMV first arose in 1983.
Does the vaccine work? Well I've had a couple of vaccinated birds show symptoms of PMV twisted neck ect but no wet droppings. I had 5 latebreds show signs of it in 2009 that were not vaccinated. When vaccinated they all recovered. The strange thing is these latebreds were in the stock loft, where no stock bird had ever been vaccinated. None of the stock was ever affected.
Since 2018 when I stopped racing NO bird has been treated for anything.
king

NeilA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:53 pm Exactly Devo
Winning with racing pigeons and keeping pets are two different hobby’s
I agree they are different, I would take a different approach if still racing. And I would probably not race YBs, or give one race at around 150 miles.
NeilA

The best national flier I know to talk to and probably equal to anyone would race his ybs everyday of the week if he could test and test again from a young age ,he keeps no pets
king

NeilA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:24 pm The best national flier I know to talk to and probably equal to anyone would race his ybs everyday of the week if he could test and test again from a young age ,he keeps no pets
From your previous post if he keeps stock birds he has pets? There will be top fanciers that don't race YBs at all also. I myself when racing used to race YBs right to 368 miles. I found it didn't make them better old birds
NeilA

king wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:41 pm
NeilA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:24 pm The best national flier I know to talk to and probably equal to anyone would race his ybs everyday of the week if he could test and test again from a young age ,he keeps no pets
From your previous post if he keeps stock birds he has pets? There will be top fanciers that don't race YBs at all also. I myself when racing used to race YBs right to 368 miles. I found it didn't make them better old birds

His stock are his winners are close to his winners not bred down from a bird that great grandsire flew 600 miles etc actual winners his lines go back to 1975 and earlier
He kills any shit no pets they have to breed 500 mile pigeons or they go in the bin
Simple system he get them fit tests them and tests them some more
as babies he races every week
Maybe when others win the NFC and BBC national in a week like he has they could challenge his methods