Annoying cat

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Andy

I have been having a bit of trouble with an annoying ginger Tom cat. Last year he did come into the garden but I sorted that by putting up an electric fence, which I think he got a shock off. This year he keeps on getting on top of the loft looking down over the edge. Often 3 or 4 times a day. When he sees us he shoots off. The birds don’t seem overly concerned as once he has gone they are quite happy to come back down onto the loft. The trouble is we have a walled garden that cats walk along. They can easily get onto the back of the roof of the loft off the wall. What’s worse is that although the wall is 8 feet high behind the loft from our side for some reason it’s not more than 3 foot high from the garden behind us and the loft. The wall down the side of our garden is probably nearer 10 foot high. I have got an ultrasound cat scarer on the roof of the loft but he doesn’t seem fazed by it. I also had some wire netting across the top of the loft about 2 foot off the wall but he was getting underneath it. The day before Yesterday I re-done the netting and put it right back against the wall. He still got on there once yesterday but struggled to get off. I think he must have dropped onto the neighbours shed and jumped up onto the youngbird loft. So yesterday I brought the wire around the side of the loft to stop that Optition. There was no sign of him today. If this fails I might try electrifying the netting.
3449B4C9-0A6F-439C-8A7A-6729AFEF4F84.jpeg
If enlarged you can see the wire behind the loft and the wall that gives the problem with the cats.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

i was looking for the cat lol
Trev

That is annoying Andy especially with the birds being on an open loft this year 😡 Hopefully the extra netting will help solve the problem 🤞 some of those ultrasonic scarers work well but some are useless, I'd stick the electric on it for day or two if it comes back, I'm not sure how well it will work with it being so high off the ground though as it may not make a decent earth !!! Worth a try though.
I hope you get it sorted bruv, since losing our cat I've been waiting for a new one to move in but so far so good 🤞🤞🤞
Andy

I did wonder about the earthing myself Trev. But it would be standing on the wall when touching it so should earth nicely lol. The only worry would be it shorting out on the ivy.
Murray

Get a cat!, or two.
We have three and apart from the Banjo baby going in through the sputnik and getting stuck, :D they dont worry the pigeons.
I have no problem with stray cats. Partly because they stay away from ours, and partly because the roofs are too steep for them to stand on. :D
I have seen blokes setting up electric wires and things before. The stray cats seem to able to smell it or something. Next thing they are finding another way to get in..... :o
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

But seriously, the lofts look really good.
I can see why you want to fill in the pond, a solid area in front of the loft must be better, and as you say you can extend an aviary out there.
You still need a cat though. They are cheap and plentiful, and you can feed it at wholesale prices.
Cheaper and far more effective than 'cat repellents'. :D
Andy

Thanks Murray. We did have a cat of our own but he died a few years ago. He did stop any other cats coming in the garden. Although we have thought about getting another cat we are reluctant to as we live on the high street. Our old cat never went out the front.
George and Morgan

this stray cat i have comes for food every day won't come into the house and goes home every night i know who owns him think they lock him out in the day he sleeps under the loft if he don't eat all his food it's still in the dish next morning so know i have no mice or rats one other thing be bites lol had to stop and see what the noise was it's the wind and snow
George and Morgan

George and Morgan wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:16 pm this stray cat i have comes for food every day won't come into the house and goes home every night i know who owns him think they lock him out in the day he sleeps under the loft if he don't eat all his food it's still in the dish next morning so know i have no mice or rats one other thing be bites lol had to stop and see what the noise was it's the wind and snow
Attachments
P1050876.JPG
Murray

Oooh that looks cold! :o

I wouldn't like that. I am a a warm weather creature. :D