Thursday night / Friday

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
NeilA

See the sugar then fat in maize Anthony may not be required here for fed races ?
I know fanciers in the last 10 years feed like a diet all week as that’s enough for the program we have
I did try that on my hens last year but to be honest the cocks smashed them
This year with the slight fat loading early in the week they seem to have improved massively and Saturday I was half thinking I could get a hen first where last year that never once came in my head
It’s done me in a bit as I don’t want to change my cocks method but it tempts me to do the same
NeilA

Anthony webster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 am I like peas now n then but think there's easier ways of putting protein in em
Pellets, chopped peanuts, milk replacer, colistrum, whey, apf90 there's nicer ways I think than peas now.
I find a energy mix with pellets for Saturday laced with a protein is enough for my races and a amino acid / vits to help recover
Murray

It's the same here in Australia. Maize maize and more maize for the long distance. They convert it and store it in the body.
It's the same with sprint/ middle distance, they store fats from oil seeds and converted from carbohydrate. It's only my thoughts, so very possibly wrong, but I think they need to have time, days, to convert the feed and store it. On a two or three day hampering they might have time to do it but on a one night hamper I really think they should be fully fed and have digested and processed the feed and be fueled up by hampering morning.
I still give a light feed on hampering day, because being very hungry is not good for any animal.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

Anthony webster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 am I like peas now n then but think there's easier ways of putting protein in em
Pellets, chopped peanuts, milk replacer, colistrum, whey, apf90 there's nicer ways I think than peas now.
True that.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
NeilA

Murray wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 am It's the same here in Australia. Maize maize and more maize for the long distance. They convert it and store it in the body.
It's the same with sprint/ middle distance, they store fats from oil seeds and converted from carbohydrate. It's only my thoughts, so very possibly wrong, but I think they need to have time, days, to convert the feed and store it. On a two or three day hampering they might have time to do it but on a one night hamper I really think they should be fully fed and have digested and processed the feed and be fueled up by hampering morning.
I still give a light feed on hampering day, because being very hungry is not good for any animal.
That’s similar to me 😂
It’s knowing how much I can’t get of the oil/ fats
I tend to feed a mix of gerry/ Gaby and barley as my base adding fats
With the base feed increased to Thursday but I can never work out when fats are used or when they are a burden
Are carbs used in 30 min or are they used in 2 hours depending or is it just down to wind direction not time / miles