Feeding System Advice

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Andy

You say you have given them plenty of trainers. I would stop that completely. In my opinion they have learnt what’s required and training birds that aren’t right will do more harm than good, especially if they are get hit by hawks on the way home.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Very good advice, Andy.
Being 100 yards a minute off the pace is disappointing, being 500 yards off means there is a problem. Whacking away at them in trainers and races while they are not right will acheive nothing, other than to lose them.
Get them roaring around at home then pop them back in the races.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

We owe you an apology.
We all read your post at 100 miles an hour. We were keener on offering our advice than hearing the question.
May I try to correct that.
You have 8 race birds. They will not tear up the skies like a team of 30 or 60 or 100. They will stay closer to home.
That fact also makes me think that the problem is more likely to be a feed or environment issue than a health issue.
Winfort Lofts

Murray wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:31 am We owe you an apology.
We all read your post at 100 miles an hour. We were keener on offering our advice than hearing the question.
May I try to correct that.
You have 8 race birds. They will not tear up the skies like a team of 30 or 60 or 100. They will stay closer to home.
That fact also makes me think that the problem is more likely to be a feed or environment issue than a health issue.
Thanks!

Admittedly on the other forum I'm being told it's health issues, and what not!

I'm in the process of treatment for Cocci, so fingers crossed that will help also!
killer

The most common problem when racing pigeons is wet canker ,so if the cocci doesn’t work try doing them for that ,cheers
Murray

killer wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 am The most common problem when racing pigeons is wet canker ,so if the cocci doesn’t work try doing them for that ,cheers
Very true, killer.
Murray

This is where you might decide to do some research into various foods that may support good health in your pigeons.
For example you can put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water, the acidity is not what canker and Coccidiosis thrive in.
You might put a crushed garlic clove with cider vinegar in water once a week. This is powerful against Trichomonas, the cause of canker, and Coccidiosis.
For a few pence, you can create an environment where these two most common illnesses do not threaten the colony of pigeons.
This is not an exhaustive list. Many people use all sorts of things to keep the pigeons happy and well without resorting to antibiotics.
However, if somehow you have an outbreak of disease in your birds, you must seek a vet and follow the instructions.
Andy

Good advice there Murray.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.